GOD'S WORD IS OUR GUIDE
SELECTED READING: 1 John 5:3
“For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.”
Before we had smartphones, we would carry an atlas with us when we traveled. The night before we departed for our destination we would study our route and prepare for the destination the next day. As we traveled, we would attentively watch for road signs on our journey. In case of a detour or a wrong turn, we would pull over and study the atlas again in order to get back on track.
In the passage above, the author writes that we are to “keep His commandments.” The word keep is a sailor’s term that relates to “keeping the stars.” In other words, sailors studied and knew the stars to guide them across the seas. As they set sail, they were constantly adjusting their route to the stars.
“Keep His Commandments”
As Christians, we are to keep His commandments. In order to do that, it is crucial to have a discipline of Bible study to guide our lives. Let me ask you a question, how do you make decisions in life? If we were honest, often times we make decisions based on what we feel. Jeremiah 17:9 says, “The heart is deceitful above all
things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?” Our feelings or our heart are a very shallow and unreliable source to depend on to make decisions. One bad decision can lead to another, and then all of a sudden you find yourself way off course.
The Bible is a constant standard that can be trusted and will safely guide you through this journey called life. But it is your responsibility as a Christian to study and get to know it.
Some Things You Can Do to Study the Bible:
1. Find a Study Bible with a good commentary that can be trusted. (Ask your Pastoral Staff for recommendations)
2. Read no more than a chapter at a time.
3. Pick a good book to start with: Proverbs, Psalms, Mark, James
4. Choose a character to study: Moses, Noah, Joseph, David, etc.
5. Look up and memorize verses that speak to areas you’re dealing with: sin, anxiety, grief, depression, anger, temptation, etc.
6. Apps like Through The Word make it easy.
7. Take notes during Pastor Joel’s sermon and study the Scripture he preaches on during the following week.
DON’T GET OVERWHELMED OR DISCOURAGED! JUST START!
PRAYER GUIDE FOR TODAY:
Pray for Pastor Joel and Sherry.
Pray for the staff.
Pray for the church that we would become a church that is dedicated to studying Scripture.
Pray for yourself that God would guide you as you become more disciplined in studying the Bible.